March 20th, 2020
Online access to COVID-19 lab test results for Health Care Providers
If you are an authorized Ontario health care provider with access to one of the provincial viewers (ClinicalConnectTM, ConnectingOntario ClinicalViewer and eHealth Portal) or an electronic medical record system (with OLIS to EMR) or a Hospital Information System (with OLIS integration), you can access novel coronavirus (COVID-19) lab test results stored in Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) in near real-time.
92% of all laboratory tests performed in Ontario are represented in OLIS, including COVID-19 tests. The Digital Services business unit of Ontario Health is collaborating with laboratories performing COVID-19 tests to successfully submit their results into OLIS.
Ordering health care providers and labs are reminded to ensure complete patient identifiers, including Ontario Health Card Number (HCN), are captured when submitting lab orders and test results to OLIS to enable the capture and display of all test results. Outlined below are details on accessing COVID-19 lab test results in each of the provincial viewers.
ConnectingOntario ClinicalViewer (used in Greater Toronto Area and northern and eastern Ontario)
COVID-19 lab tests display in the Lab and Pathology Results portlet. In order to see lab info your organization must be authorized for OLIS access and the patient must have an Ontario HCN. Due to differences in lab submissions, some results may not appear in the Microbiology tab.
ClinicalConnectTM (used in south west Ontario)
COVID-19 lab test results display in the Microbiology module with two possible ‘Sources’ as described below. Patient must have an Ontario HCN and a visit at an acute care facility, or Home & Community Care Services, in south west Ontario for their COVID-19 result to be viewable in the ClinicalConnect’s Microbiology module.
'Source Systems’ for COVID-19 results:
- OLIS: for COVID-19 results from labs contributing these results to OLIS (in order to see results, your organization must be authorized for OLIS access)
- A hospital in south west Ontario: for COVID-19 tests ordered and entered into Hospital Information Systems (HIS) at acute care facilities in south west Ontario. Note: In some cases, results for the same test may appear from both OLIS & a hospital’s HIS. An example of this is shown below:
eHealth Portal (used across Ontario)
You must be authorized for OLIS information access. The Lab icon does not display if you do not have access. To see OLIS information, the patient must have an Ontario HCN.
Who to Contact for Assistance
- If you have forgotten your ONE® ID Login ID or Password, click the Forgot Login ID/Forgot Password link on the ONE ID Login screen
- To maintain your ONE® ID account and keep your information current, log in to https://oneid.ehealthontario.ca to access the My Profile page
- To request access: contact the Local Registration Authority (LRA) at your organization
- For information on how to use ConnectingOntario ClinicalViewer, click here
- For assistance or issues, contact your help desk and for other inquiries or non-urgent assistance contact: Connecting.Ontario@ehealthontario.on.ca
- To request access: contact the ClinicalConnect Local Registration Authority (LRA) at your organization
- For information about how to view data in ClinicalConnect’s Microbiology Module, click here
- If you require additional assistance: email@example.com
- For help and information on how to use eHealth Portal, click here.
- If you require additional assistance: Ontario Health (Digital Services) Service Desk at 1-866-250-1554 or firstname.lastname@example.org
OLIS to EMR users (e.g., Telus, QHR Technologies Inc, OSCAR)
- For EMR assistance: contact your EMR vendor
- For information, click here
- For non-urgent assistance, such as how to sign up for OLIS, contact Ontario MD: email@example.com
Technical issues for ConnectingOntario ClinicalViewer, eHealth Portal, ONE ID, OLIS
- Contact Ontario Health (Digital Services) Service Desk at 1-866-250-1554 or firstname.lastname@example.org